Healthy Recipe: Berry Protein Smoothie
Anytime is a good time for a smoothie in my book. But Summer time is an especially good time for an ice-cold, protein-packed smoothie that gets your metabolism going. This Berry Protein Smoothie is chock-full of plant-based protein, healthy fats, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Just the thing to boost your energy levels so you can work hard and play more this Summer! Oh, did I mention it’s delicious?
BERRY PROTEIN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
(vegan + gluten free + dairy free)
Time: 5 minutes
Serves 1-2 people
INGREDIENTS: Use organic whenever possible. Add to the
blender in the order listed:
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
• ¼ avocado
• 1 tbsp chia seeds
• 1 tbsp hemp seeds
• 1 tbsp almond butter
• ½ banana (frozen if you got it)
• ½ cup frozen blueberries
• ½ cup frozen raspberries
• 1 dash cinnamon
• 1 cup purified water
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend on high for 45-60 seconds. Enjoy!
NOTEWORTHY PANTRY STAPLES:
It’s worth mentioning that the ingredients in this smoothie are things I ALWAYS have around because they are useful in so many ways.
• CHIA SEEDS and HEMP SEEDS are excellent for sprinkling on salads or yogurt to get those omega-3’s and easy-todigest protein.
• ALMOND BUTTER. I use as a snack with an apple amongst other things. Be sure to buy a brand where almonds are the only ingredient.
• ALMOND MILK. I try to avoid dairy as it promotes inflammation in the body, so unsweetened almond milk is my substitute. You could use coconut milk or rice milk in your smoothies as well.
• AVOCADOS are so so good for you; use them in salads, dips, dressings, soup toppings…anyway you possibly can.
• FROZEN BERRIES. It’s almost impossible for frozen berries to go bad so stock up!
• CINNAMON. Most people have some cinnamon around and should use it more often. It’s an excellent way to make things taste sweet and helps balance blood sugar.
• BANANAS. Don’t throw them away if they are too ripe for your liking. Peel it and place it in the freezer in a ziploc. This will make your smoothies taste like a milkshake.
Shannon Vigil is a Holistic Health Coach. See more of her healthy recipes and learn about her 5-Day Reset program online at www.shannonvigil.com